Friday 22 June 2018

Is this love?



How real is your love? Can it be touched or felt? Do you act it or do you speak it? Is it asleep or loud enough? Does it come with conditions? These were questions i silently asked myself today.

On our way to drop off the girls in school this morning, a young boy of about 8 in a public school uniform stood on a sidewalk yelling at the top of his voice with tears accompanying. Cars zoomed past, the popular black on yellow tricycles cruised beside him, leggidibenzers were not left out. Everyone ignored him. The poor boy looked like he was going to stand there and cry all day.

As we flew by, husband who had spotted him from afar slowed down and yelled "wetin happen"! The boy yelled back but we couldn't hear him clearly. We were almost at the end of the road when he turned back lamenting that it might just be transport money that was lost. 

On getting back to the spot, an elderly woman walking by was enquiring what was wrong and she told us the boy forgot his shoes in the Tricycle which dropped him. As soon as she disclosed the info she went about her business.
Hubby asked if it was getting into trouble with the school that the child was afraid of to which he replied in the affirmative.
Next thing I heard was "Get inside the car let's go to your school"! Ewooo! See shout as my head began to spin. Would someone take pictures and later accuse us of child kidnapping? Instablog flashed my mind. "No way"! I'm ashamed to say i shouted and on i went reeling out several reasons we couldn't take that step. I spotted some children in same uniform and about same age on the other side of the sidewalk. I immediately spoke with them and said they should go with him and explain to the authorities in school that it wasn't the little boys fault. I made sure we zoomed off as my good Samaritan husband mentioned that if shops were opened, he would have bought the lad another pair of shoes.
Reflecting much later, I began to question my reactions. Not only would the boy be in trouble in school, he would probably be in much more trouble at home. I imagined a poor home where it might take months to get him another pair. I became sober. Maybe i shouldn't have been so insistent. Maybe there was something else we could have done. Maybe I should have shown more love.
We have learnt so many inhumane attitudes for various reasons including fear of the unknown. We have acquired skills to pretend love, speak kindly, avoid hurting feelings, appear to take an interest in others and be fake polite.
True love however is sincere, without hypocrisy, real and can only come from a pure heart. It requires concentration and effort. Helping others to become better people demands our time, money and personal involvement.

I learnt a very vital lesson today and if it happens again, I would do better.  I would be better.

Finally, Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. (Roman 12 vs 9 &10)


Cheers.

Funmi Olutile

No comments:

Post a Comment