Saturday 22 June 2013

A Mothers Life

This morning whilst preparing to do school runs, my 5 and 9 year old girls asked me to attend an hour to celebrate Mother's Day in their school. (In Nigeria, Mother's Day this year is actually on Sunday, 10th March). They were very disappointed when i told them it won't be possible because "mummy is going far". We cleaned up some tears and i promised to pick them up myself and cherish the keepsakes they would have presented to me in school. Hours later, even in the several meetings i attended, all i could think about was my late mother.

 I am who I am today by the grace of God and the prayers of my mother. She prepared me physically and Spiritually for where I find myself today and the journey I had no knowledge about. Multi-tasking, generous, goal getter, ambitious, intelligent, dedicated, wise, strong, funny, very funny are just some of the words i can use to describe Olajumoke Marcus (nee Carew). Little wonder in my tribute to her 5 years ago, i said it will be very difficult to fill her big shoes. How fortunate i was to have that woman stand in the gap and pray for me. We will never forget!

I have also discovered that a mothers role can be likened to giving love and the recipient might not always reciprocate. It is similar to the popular saying suffering and smiling. Even when a mother is hurt, she will still embrace. She hardly remembers to pray for herself as its always in the order of husband, children and then any other person she is concerned about or that has prayer point. In other words, her soft shoulders are strong enough to carry the weight of her family. She will pick herself up and dust the hurts and rejections, she will cry when you cry, she will laugh when you are happy. Even when she is dead tired, she will still entertain, wash, cook and clean. She will still do homework after school and she hardly gets a thank you from anyone for a job well done.

My point is if you are fortunate enough to still have your mother, give her a call and just say how are you doing mama? If there is a mother figure in your life, do the same.

Many around the world celebrate Mother's Day with breakfast in bed, flowers, gifts, trips to the spa and so on. Sounds good but that comes around for just few hours in 365days. Wouldn't it be nice to make everyday Mother's Day by your thoughtfulness towards that special woman who has sacrificed her life so you can have a better one? My advice is to make hay while the sun shines and fulfil the scripture that says "Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. (Ephesians 6:2, 3 KJV).

By the way, I picked the girls up myself and had to buy ice cream to make up for not attending the celebrations and because my little daughter lost the card she was to give me! My way of celebrating my day!

Cheers,

Funmi Olutile



1 comment:

  1. NICE ONE MA'AM!. THE ROLE EVERY GOOD MOTHER PLAYED IN THEIR WARD'S LIFE CANNOT BE OVER-EMPHASIZED. MOTHERS ARE THE SECOND BEST GIFT FROM GOD TO MANKIND(THE VERY BEST IS STILL JESUS THE LORD OF ALL). HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO EVERY MOTHER IN WORLD MOST ESPECIALLY MY SWEETEST MUM.........

    ReplyDelete